Here are seven spine and orthopedic surgeons who were honored in the second quarter of 2023:
1. Orthopedic surgeon Army Col. Benjamin "Kyle" Potter, MD, recieved the the Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine’s Army Hero of Military Medicine Award.
2. The Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Foundation named Holly Johnson, MD, and Casey Humbyrd, MD, as the recipients of two women's leadership awards. Dr. Johnson received the career impact award, and Dr. Humbyrd received the career development award.
3. Nathan Skelly, MD, of Sioux Falls, S.D.-based Sanford Health earned the 2023 Chester B. McVay Award for Excellence in Teaching and Research.
4. Spine surgeon Frank Cammisa, Jr., MD, was honored by New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery for his work in the spine surgery industry.
5. Phil Johnson, MD, has been awarded the USA Hockey Excellence in Safety Award, which honors those who go above and beyond to make hockey safer for participants, following his 30 years of service to the U.S. National junior hockey team.
6. Richard Ferkel, MD, recieved the 2023 Arthroscopy Association of North America Distinguished Service Award.