For the 2021-22 list of Best Hospitals for Orthopedics, click here.
Best Hospitals for Orthopedics 2020-21 was published by U.S. News & World Report on July 28, with Hospital for Special Surgery ranking No. 1 for the 11th consecutive year.
U.S. News analyzed data from 1,638 hospitals, which had to treat at least 278 Medicare inpatients in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Here are the top 20 hospitals for orthopedics:
1. Hospital for Special Surgery (New York City)
2. Mayo Clinic (Rochester, Minn.)
3. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (Los Angeles)
4. NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital (New York City)
5. Rush University Medical Center (Chicago)
6. NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell (New York City)
7. Santa Monica (Calif.) UCLA Medical Center and Orthopedic Hospital
8. Massachusetts General Hospital (Boston)
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Scripps La Jolla (Calif.) Hospitals
11. Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak (Mich.)
12. Stanford (Calif.) Health Care-Stanford Hospital
13. Houston (Texas) Methodist Hospital
14. NYU Winthrop Hospital (Mineola, N.Y.)
15. Northwestern Memorial Hospital (Chicago)
16. UCSF Medical Center (San Francisco)
17. Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals (Philadelphia)
18. New England Baptist Hospital (Boston)
19. Tampa (Fla.) General Hospital
19. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside (Pittsburgh)
Editor’s note: Tampa General Hospital and UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside tied at No. 19.