Here are seven sports medicine industry updates since Sept. 1:
1. Keith Meister, MD, operated on Minnesota Twins pitcher Kenta Maeda on Sept. 1.
2. Dharmesh Vyas, MD, PhD, was named director of the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry Township, Pa., the National Hockey League said Sept. 9.
3. Thomas Graham, MD, operated on New York Mets third baseman J.D. Davis on Oct. 5.
4. Steven Shin, MD, performed hand surgery on boxer Ryan Garcia on Oct. 18 at the Los Angeles-based Cedars-Sinai Kerlan-Jobe Surgery Center.
5. Jorge Chahla, MD, PhD, of Chicago-based Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush, performed knee surgery on three international professional athletes, the practice said Oct. 21.
6. Basketball players who drive past defenders to try and score are more likely to risk anterior cruciate ligament tears, researchers at Stanford (Calif.) University found.
7. Neal ElAttrache, MD, operated on New Orleans Saints quarterback Jameis Winston's knee Nov. 12.