In January, Novant Health opened its new Neurosciences Institute-New Hanover in Wilmington, N.C., to treat patients with brain and spine injuries from Southeastern North Carolina. Here are seven things to know about the institute:
1. The neuroscience unit has five stories and 108,000 square feet of space.
2. The institute will house a stroke center, four operating rooms and two interventional suites.
3. Spinal surgeries that will be offered include the replacement of deteriorated discs, spinal stenosis and the correction of scoliosis.
4. The institute will house a portable CT scanner and a neurological catheterization lab with rotating cameras.
5. The institute will use cloud-based software that allows scan and image sharing between practice locations.
6. The institute is staffed by neurohospitalists, neurointerventionalists, neurosurgeons and trained nurses. At least one medical professional will be on call 24/7 for emergency response.
7. The institute is a level 3 epilepsy center.