Spine surgeon Nitin Khanna, MD, won several patient care awards in 2020 and is ranked among the top 1 percent of America's most honored doctors, The Times of Northwest Indiana reported March 5.
Five things to know:
1. Last year, healthcare database company Vitals honored Dr. Khanna with a Compassionate Doctor Award, an On-Time Doctor Award and a Patients' Choice Award.
2. Based on patient reviews, the surgeon also became a five-year honoree for the Compassionate Doctor Award and Patients' Choice Award.
3. In 2020, he performed 236 spine surgeries with no infections, according to the report.
4. Dr. Khanna said he wants to become one of the first surgeons in Indiana to perform an augmented reality-assisted spine surgery.
5. He is serving as co-investigator of a Mishawaka, Ind.-based Franciscan Health study on the long-term prognosis for patients undergoing micro decompression surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis.