Medtronic finalizes a $1.1 billion acquisition and five more updates from spine and orthopedic device companies in the last week:
1. Accelus' TiHawk 11 interbody device was cleared by the FDA.
2. Amplify Surgical completed the first training on the dualPortal endoscopic technique. It was facilitated by Daniel Park, MD, an orthopedic spine surgeon at William Beaumont Hospital in Southfield, Mich.
3. Medtronic completed its acquisition of Intersect ENT.
4. Zimmer Biomet appointed Paul Stellato as vice president, controller and chief accounting officer.
5. JointMedica's Polymotion hip resurfacing system received the FDA's breakthrough device designation.
6. CMS granted its new technology add-on payment to SI-Bone's iFuse Bedrock Granite implant, which received the FDA's breakthrough device designation in November and is designed for sacroiliac fusion and sacropelvic fixation.