NuVasive's net sales were affected in part by challenges with the COVID-19 pandemic and elective surgery halt, according to third-quarter financial results posted Nov. 9.
Five notes from the report:
1. Net sales were $270.8 million, down 8.3 percent from $295.3 million in the same time last year. They were driven by new product introductions in the spine portfolio and the company's international performance.
2. The company's cervical portfolio saw double-digit year-over-year growth in the U.S., led by the Simplify cervical disc.
3. GAAP net loss was $21.6 million. The company's third-quarter net income in 2020 was $5.9 million.
4. As of Sept. 30, cash, cash equivalents and investments were $234.6 million.
5. CEO J. Christopher Barry said in a news release, "The third quarter presented unexpected challenges for elective surgical procedures due to the negative impact from the resurgence of COVID-19 and healthcare staffing shortages. Despite these external factors, our strategy remains unchanged."