A New York arbitrator resolved 255 medical malpractice lawsuits against former orthopedic surgeon Spyros Panos, MD, with a collective $140 million award, Medscape reports.
What you should know:
1. Dr. Panos served four years in prison for fraud and faces criminal charges. He allegedly performed up to 20 surgeries a day and saw up to 90 patients a day in his office over a 10-year period. He allegedly performed unnecessary procedures, faked some procedures entirely and botched others. Some patients said they did not receive the care they needed.
2. The arbitration agreement resolves the civil cases against Dr. Panos and his former practice Poughkeepsie, N.Y.-based Mid Hudson Medical Group.
3. Individual plaintiffs are expected to receive between $18,540 to $3.4 million, although only $46 million will be covered by Dr. Panos' and Mid Hudson Medical Group's insurance.
4. Dr. Panos practiced at Mid Hudson Medical Group for 12 years. Mid Hudson was included in multiple malpractice suits because plaintiffs felt the group didn't do more to investigate Dr. Panos' high procedure and office visit volumes.
5. Dr. Panos refused to consent to the settlement but was overridden by his primary insurance carrier.
6. Dr. Panos faces counts of wire fraud, healthcare fraud and aggravated identity theft, if convicted of these charges he faces up to 32 years in prison, a $500,000 or both.