Patient records of K. Mathew Warnock, MD, of Fondren Orthopedic Group, were damaged in a November malware attack.
Five things to know:
1. The Houston-based practice issued a notice stating a malware incident occurred on Nov. 21, 2019, that resulted in damaged medical records within the Fondren system.
2. After a forensic investigation, the practice reported no evidence that a third-party accessed or acquired medical records or personal data. However, some of the records were damaged and are no longer available for use.
3. The patient information in damaged records includes patient names, addresses, telephone numbers, diagnoses and treatment information. Insurance information was also included in some of the records.
4. Dr. Warnock may need to gather new patient information and medical history forms for returning patients that had affected records.
5. Fondren has strict security measures to protect patient information and took steps after the attack to restore its systems. The group is also reviewing data security policies and procedures.