Patients from all over South Carolina are traveling to Myrtle Beach, S.C.-based Grand Strand Medical Center to have their surgeries performed by Gene Massey, MD, with the Mazor Robotics Renaissance System, according to WBTW.
Here are five takeaways:
1. Grand Strand Medical Center's Dr. Massey is the only physician at the hospital trained to use the Renaissance System. He is also the only physician in the area trained to use the robotic system.
2. Grand Strand Medical Center is the only hospital in the state utilizing the Mazor X system.
3. Dr. Massey is a member of the South Carolina Orthopaedic Association, South Carolina Medical Association, AO Spine and American Medical Association.
4. Specializing in minimally invasive spine surgery, Dr. Massey underwent fellowship training at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C.
5. After earning his medical degree from the University of Louisville (Ky.) School of Medicine, Dr. Massey completed his residency at Palmetto Health Richland Hospital in Columbia, S.C.