Novant Health is close to opening a $67 million orthopedic hospital in Charlotte, N.C., that includes a built-in ASC, according to the Charlotte Business Journal.
Here are five things to know:
1. The new hospital, Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital, is replacing a previous orthopedic hospital in downtown Charlotte that had served the community for around 50 years. The new 89,000-square-foot facility has three stories and 48 inpatient beds.
2. Novant Health Charlotte Orthopedic Hospital will have a surgical wellness clinic on the first floor designed to screen patients before procedures; the second floor houses seven operating rooms, 600 square feet each.
3. Novant plans to renovate the existing hospital, converting 45,000 square feet into a five-OR ambulatory surgery center. The $7 million renovation is expected to be complete next year and open in August 2018.
4. Last year, the orthopedic hospital had nearly 7,500 surgeries, 4,491 being outpatient; the remaining 2,990 surgeries were inpatient procedures. As orthopedic procedures move more into the outpatient setting, Novant downsized the number of inpatient orthopedic beds in the community from 64 in the old hospital to 48 in the new hospital.
5. The new hospital is connected to Presbyterian Medical Center, which will provide higher levels of care if necessary, according to the report. Novant eventually hopes to bring skilled nursing care to the hospital for a smooth continuum of care.