Jerome Adams, MD, is President Donald Trump's nominee for surgeon general, according to Medscape.
Here are six highlights:
1. As surgeon general, Dr. Adams would head the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps.
2. Mr. Trump dismissed former Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, MD, in April. Sylvia Trent-Adams, RN, PhD, stepped up as the temporary replacement.
3. Dr. Adams is currently the state health commissioner of Indiana. Vice President Mike Pence appointed Dr. Adams to this position in October 2014.
4. Dr. Adams is also a clinical anesthesia assistant professor at Indianapolis-based Indiana University School of Medicine. He is also a staff anesthesiologist at Indianapolis-based Eskenazi Health.
5. He previously served on the Indiana State Medical Association board and the Indiana Society of Anesthesiologists board.
6. Dr. Adams earned his medical degree from Indiana University School of Medicine and his master of public health degree from University of California, Berkeley.