Oncologist Barbara McAneny, MD, is the new president-elect of the American Medical Association, effective June 2017.
Here are seven key points:
1. She will begin her presidency in June 2018.
2. Her AMA career dates back to 2010, most recently serving as board chair from 2015 to 2016.
3. Her other leadership roles include board member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology and serving as an ASCO delegate to the AMA.
4. From 2009 to 2010, Dr. McAneny was the AMA council of medical services chair.
5. She co-founded the multidisciplinary oncology practice New Mexico Oncology Hematology Consultants, where she currently serves as CEO.
6. Additionally, she established and manages New Mexico Cancer Center in Albuquerque. The center offers healthcare sites, outpatient medical and radiation oncology care and imaging.
7. In 2005, Dr. McAneny earned the "New Mexico Woman on the Move" award. Her colleagues have voted her to Albuquerque The Magazine's "Top Doc" for oncology various times.
"It is a deep honor and privilege to be elected a leader of an organization that is committed to serving as a strong physician voice and a dedicated patient advocate," said Dr. McAneny. "The AMA will play a pivotal role in the changing healthcare environment as our nation confronts pressing healthcare issues. With vision and perseverance, I look forward to creating a brighter future for patients and the medical profession."