New York City-based NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center and Weill Cornell Medicine promoted the rehabilitation medicine division to a full department.
Here are six notes:
1. The organizations hope to boost rehabilitation medicine research, education and patient care with this new department.
2. Joel Stein, MD, will serve as department chairman.
3. Dr. Stein serves as a rehabilitation medicine professor at Weill Cornell Medicine as well as the Simon Baruch Professor of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Columbia University Medical Center in New York City. He is also physiatrist-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
4. The department's subspecialties include interventional spine care, sports medicine, regenerative medicine, women's health rehabilitation as well as stroke rehabilitation and recovery.
5. Michael O'Dell, MD, will serve as vice chairman. He is a Weill Cornell Medicine clinical rehabilitation medicine professor and oversees patient care and research.
6. The department will collaborate with Columbia University Medical Center's rehabilitation and regenerative medicine department.