As healthcare trends toward the outpatient setting, clinics will be designed with different aspects in mind, according to healthcare design. A project called Clinic 20XX lays out the design of future clinics.
Here are five insights:
1. Healthcare reform, an evolving patient population, advancing care delivery and technology will all continue to spur clinic design change. mHealth, coordinated health and retail health are all changing the face of healthcare.
2. Millennials and baby boomers seek an overall high quality healthcare experience that extends beyond just addressing their health. That is, clinics will need to address cleanliness and payer coverage.
3. Physicians want to spend more time with patients, whether through virtual capabilities or more available exam rooms.
4. Based on healthcare's driving trends, future clinics will need to offer streamlined check-in processes that allow quick entry into exam rooms.
5. Future clinics will facilitate more integrated care, which means construction must include more space for additional services like physical therapy and pharmacy.