Fredericksburg-based Premier Orthopedics of Virginia spine surgeon Usman Zahir, MD, became the first surgeon in the state to perform a laminectomy using a joimax endosocopic device, according to Fredericksburg.com.
Here are five highlights:
1. Dr. Zahir performed the minimally invasive spine surgery at Fredericksburg-based Spotsylvania Regional Medical Center in October 2017.
2. Since performing the first laminectomy using the advanced endoscope, Dr. Zahir has performed roughly 20 of the minimally invasive procedures to repair the effects of stenosis or herniated discs.
3. Dr. Zahir uses equipment from joimax to perform the surgery. The endoscopic device manufacturer requires surgeons to go through training to use devices needed for laminectomy procedures.
4. Ryan Moody is a clinical specialist with joimax. Along with training Dr. Zahir, he and joimax have trained more than 5,000 surgeons at roughly 1,500 facilities.
5. Joimax estimates approximately 2,500 physicians globally are performing endoscopic surgery using their devices.