James Andrews, MD, will perform season-ending Tommy John surgery on Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Edgar Santana's right elbow, MLB.com reports.
Here’s what you should know:
1. Pirates Director of Sports Medicine Todd Tomczyk said Dr. Andrews will perform the procedure at a later date, and Mr. Santana is expected to miss the entire 2019 season while in recovery.
2. Mr. Santana reportedly felt some tightness in his forearm in August, and the Pirates gave him six days off to rest.
3. After experiencing tightness in his forearm and elbow during the team's Sept. 21 game, the right-hander made an early exit.
4. Dr. Andrews is a founding partner of Gulf Breeze, Fla.-based Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine. He is one of the leading orthopedic surgeons in the world, and his center is internationally recognized for its sports medicine treatments.
5. Dr. Andrews is the Tampa Bay Rays' orthopedic medical director.