Liberal, Kan.-based Southwest Medical Center added Pingal Desai, MD, to its staff, according to KSCB.
Here are four things to know:
1. Dr. Desai will practice at SWMC's new Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Care Center in Liberal.
2. Born and raised in India, Dr. Desai completed medical school and his orthopedic residency in India before practicing there for over a decade.
3. He practiced in the U.S. since 2007, training with several fellowship programs to hone his skills.
4. Dr. Desai became a Certified Wound Specialist Physician from the American Board of Wound Management in 2016.
5. He looks forward to offer sports medicine care to Liberal's young population.
Dr. Desai said, "In India, orthopedics was always more of an 'emergency' specialty. I watched one of my cousins go through a lot of hardship for treatment of a fractured elbow…That really motivated me to fill a need in the world for orthopedic care.
More articles on sports medicine:
Dr. Bert Solomon opens Knoxville Spine and Sports — 5 observations
Physicians vs. parents: 5 insights on which sports cause the most concussions
Dr. Neal ElAttrache to perform Tommy John surgery on Yankees' James Kaprielian