New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery appointed Harvinder Sandhu, MD, and Andrew Sama, MD, the new co-chiefs of HSS Spine, effective in October.
What you should know:
1. The pair succeed Frank Schwab, MD, who will transition to a chief emeritus role and continue to practice at HSS.
2. HSS Spine cites Dr. Schwab's leadership as the reason HSS Spine has advanced both clinically and academically.
3. Drs. Sandhu and Sama will attempt to continue that advancement.
4. Dr. Sandhu specializes in minimally invasive spine surgery, microsurgery, computer-assisted surgery and spinal biologics. He joined HSS in 1997, after a tenure as the chief of spinal service at UCLA.
5. Dr. Sama specializes in traumatic, degenerative and deformity-related conditions of the spine. He completed a fellowship at HSS before going into practice in 2001.