Hooman M. Melamed, MD, of Marina del Rey, Calif.-based DISC Sports and Spine Center, updated his preliminary diagnosis for former Dance Moms star Abby Lee Miller from a spinal infection to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, according to People.
Here are six things to know.
1. Dr. Melamed, who serves as scoliosis director at Cedar Sinai Marina Del Rey Hospital, performed emergency spine surgery on Ms. Miller April 17. Ms. Miller came to the emergency room with "excruciating neck pain" and weakness in her arm, People reports. He initially diagnosed her with a rare spinal infection that had spread from her neck to her lower back. He performed a multi-level laminectomy lasting nearly five hours.
2. Dr. Melamed will collaborate with an oncologist to determine whether Ms. Miller needs chemotherapy, radiation or additional spine surgery. He told People, this is a preliminary diagnosis but he anticipates she will need chemotherapy or radiation dependent on the "sensitivity of the tumor."
3. Ms. Miller is beginning to regain some sensation, but Dr. Melamed said they are wary of the tumor spreading. He told People, "Any tumor that spreads anywhere is automatically Stage 4, but we have not determined the stage yet."
4. Dr. Melamed also serves as an adjunct assistant professor of Touro University Medical Center in Las Vegas. He completed his spine fellowship at Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, and is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
5. He specializes in minimally invasive spine surgery; non-fusion spine technology; complex cervical spine disorders; cervical, thoracic and lumbar degenerative disc disease; revision and failed spine surgeries; spine trauma; tumors, cancers, metastasis to the spine; pediatric and adult scoliosis and kyphosis.
6. Dr. Melamed has performed 2,000-plus spine surgeries, and has presented at the following societies' meetings: Scoliosis Research Society, Cervical Spine Research Society, North American Spine Society, Congress for Neurological Surgeons and International Meeting on Advanced Spine Technique.