Theodore Belanger, MD, of The Medical Center of Plano (Texas), plans to perform surgeries on a 20-year-old and 13-year-old with severe spinal disorders, according to WFAA 8.
Here are five things to note:
1. Dr. Belanger started traveling to Ethiopia in 2010 to perform spinal surgeries. Spinal deformities are common in the country due to genetic diseases.
2. He will perform 12-hour spinal surgery on a young man with ankylosing spondylitis.
3. The procedure will involve two breaks, realignment and stabilization with screws and rods placed from the thoracic spine to the pelvis.
4. Dr. Belanger will also perform surgery on a teenager with severe scoliosis.
5. Dr. Belanger brought these patients from Ethiopia to perform surgery in Texas.