Andrew Hecht, MD, was appointed chief of spine surgery for Mount Sinai Health System and Mount Sinai Hospital.
Here are five things to know about Dr. Hecht's new role:
1. He will lead the clinical expansion, integration and coordination of inpatient and outpatient spine care services across the health system.
2. Dr. Hecht will implement and oversee standardized evidence-based medicine protocols and quality metrics with the goal of reducing avoidable readmissions, enhancing the overall patient experience and improving clinical outcomes.
3. In addition to his new role, Dr. Hecht will continue as director of the Mount Sinai Spine Center of Mount Sinai Doctors, the faculty practice and as Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and neurologic surgery at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
4. Dr. Hecht is also continuing his work expanding basic and clinical research for new therapeutic approaches.
5. He also serves as a spine surgical consultant to the NY Jets and NY Islanders, and sits on the NFL Brain and Spine Committee. He runs the northeast site for the NFL program to care for former NFL players.