Santa Catarina, Brazil-based Instituto de Ortopedia e Traumatologia de Jaraguá do Su surgeons have used Microsoft's HoloLens during spinal fusions.
Here are five highlights:
1. The HoloLens guides surgeons to more accurately place pedicle screws.
2. The device is also intended to help surgeons avoid complications, like neural damage or implant loosening, by providing proper pedicle screw placement.
3. The HoloLens offers a 3-D CT scan, which provides a trajectory for screw placement.
4. Dr. Henrique Lampert and Dr. Bruno Gobbato, of the Instituto de Ortopedia e Traumatologia de Jaraguá do Su, have used the device.
5. The surgeons hope to develop a course to teach other surgeons how to use the HoloLens.