Geisinger Health Plan will now exclusively cover SI-BONE's iFuse Implant System for SI joint fusion.
Here are five things to know:
1. The policy is effective June 15, 2016.
2. Geisinger Health Plan covers more than 500,000 people in Delaware, Maine, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
3. The policy states other fusion products for sacroiliac joint fusion are "considered experimental/investigational or unproven and therefore not covered."
4. The iFuse Implant System's triangular shape is designed to provide 31 times the rotational resistance of a screw.
5. The product's FDA clearance supports clinical study results for the system proving enhanced pain, patient function and quality of life.