No difference in hip replacement adverse events for male vs. female surgeons: Study

Paige Haeffele -  

In hip replacement surgery, the sex of surgeon conducting the procedure made no real difference on the instance of negative outcomes, reported a study published in The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery.

Data from 11,993 total hip arthroplasties performed between 2008 and 2016 by 200 surgeons in Sweden was analyzed to determine whether there was any difference in adverse events within 90 days after procedures conducted by men versus those conducted by women.

Among the 200 surgeons studied, 35 were women, equaling 17.5 percent of the total. The remaining 165, or 82.5 percent, were male, equaling 165 men.

The instance of adverse effects was 6 percent among female surgeons and 7 percent among male surgeons. The conductors of the study determined that despite the small tendency of lower rates of adverse effects conducted by female surgeons compared to male surgeons, there was a "marginal" difference in adverse effects between male and female surgeons.

Copyright © 2022 Becker's Healthcare. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Cookie Policy. Linking and Reprinting Policy.

Featured Learning Opportunities

Featured Webinars

Featured Podcast

Featured Whitepapers