Joint replacement specialist at Chicago-based Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush Denis Nam, MD, received an award at the 2016 Current Concepts in Joint Replacement meeting.
The organization honored Dr. Nam with the Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation/Current Concepts in Joint Replacement Clinical Practice Award, given to fellows and orthopedic surgeons whose studies focus on healthcare policy, clinical outcomes or translational research and have an immediate impact.
Dr. Nam's award-winning paper is titled "Patient-Reported Metal Allergy: A Risk Factor for Poor Outcomes After Total Joint Arthroplasty."
Here are five things to know about Dr. Nam:
1. He joined Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush on Dec. 1, 2016 with a special interest in hip and knee replacement procedures as well as minimally invasive surgery.
2. In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Nam has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed articles and five book chapters.
3. His awards extend to the Hospital for Special Surgery Adult Reconstruction and Joint Clinical Excellence Award and the Mark Coventry Award from The Knee Society.
4. Dr. Nam's memberships include the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. He has a special interest in following clinical outcomes for knee and hip replacements and previously investigated thromboembolism prophylaxis after joint replacement.
5. He earned his medical degree at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago and completed the Hospital for Special Surgery adult reconstruction and joint replacement fellowship in New York.