Abba Zubair, MD, PhD, of the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., investigated whether stem cells would multiply at an accelerated speed in zero gravity, according to Action News Jax.
Here are five highlights:
1. Dr. Zubair and his team placed stem cells on the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. The rocket exited NASA's Kennedy Space Center in February.
2. The stem cells lived in specialized incubator cassettes within the rocket for one month.
3. Dr. Zubair reported the stem cells in space expanded faster than stem cells on Earth.
4. He hopes this finding will help stroke patients in the future. Dr. Zubair has a clinical trial focused on regenerating brain cells harmed by strokes.
5. Dr. Zubair completed his post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia and his PhD in tumor immunology at the University of Sheffield in England.