Orthopedic spine surgeon Andrew King, MD, of New Orleans Children's Hospital, discussed his experience using Medicrea's patient-specific UniD rods for spine procedures.
Here are six takeaways:
1. Dr. King utilizes the UNiD rods for adolescent scoliosis surgeries.
2. Medicrea matches the rods to a patient's unique spinal alignment, in conjunction with a surgeon's preoperative plan. This eliminates error resulting from surgeons manually bending the rods in the OR.
3. Dr. King welcomes Medicrea's technology, as he has been bending spinal rods for 34 years and has been "underwhelmed by [his] ability to bend a rod so that it matches the perfect numbers."
4. Medicrea's UNiD lab team collaborates with surgeons to conduct a software analysis of each patient, noting specific complications.
5. Medicrea offers the customized rods for cervical, thoracic and lumbar procedures.
6. Dr. King completed his fellowships at Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Hospital in Exeter, England, and at LSU Health Sciences Center in New Orleans.
"The patient-specific rod is very much ahead of its time. When we finish the operation, we've left them with the best possible appearance for the rest of their lives," said Dr. King. "The curve is not going to worsen and there is less likelihood of them having pain."