Seeking Alpha released a new report on the orthobiologics market, which has experienced tremendous growth over the past 20 years.
Here are five key notes from the report:
1. The bone graft section is the largest, accounting for 41.6 percent of the worldwide orthobiologics market in 2010.
2. The North American market was estimated at $1.5 billion in 2012, which was 40 percent of the worldwide market at the time.
3. Key growth drivers over the next several years include:
• High prevalence of arthritis
• More people in sports activities
• Growing demand for minimally invasive products
• Benefits like lower cost and quicker recovery
4. Medtronic is one of the biggest players in the space, and in 2009 the company had 19 percent market share. Other major players include Genzyme, Johnson & Johnson's DePuy Synthes and Stryker.
5. The orthobiologics space has less competition than other crowded sectors and the high level of specialization is a barrier to entry. However, the space is growing at a good rate and Integra LifeSciences is an especially important company to consider because of its lower valuation and focus on the sector.
More article son orthopedic devices:
SpineGuard completes $3.1M fresh equity round—5 things to know
InVivo Therapeutics names Dr. James Guest to scientific advisory board—5 key notes
ApiFix used in 50th scoliosis correction—5 key notes