Thomas Throckmorton, MD, has been appointed editor-in-chief of OrthoInfo.org, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons' patient education website.
1. OrthoInfo.org provides resources to help patients better understand musculoskeletal conditions and make informed healthcare decisions. The website has more than 400 articles and videos on bone and joint conditions, treatments and injury prevention.
2. Dr. Throckmorton is an elbow and shoulder surgeon who has practiced with Memphis-based Campbell Clinic since 2009.
3. One of Dr. Throckmorton's goals is to package information into formats best digested by younger patients. "They communicate almost exclusively through social media platforms. How to make us more accessible to our patients in that world is something I'm really interested in exploring."
4. Dr. Throckmorton is on the AAOS' communications committee. He previously served on the society's board of directors and its central instructional course committee.
5. He succeeded Stuart Fisher, MD, who finished his term as editor-in-chief on March 31.