The New York Police Department swore in orthopedic surgeon Armin Tehrany, MD, as an honorary police surgeon, according to silive.com.
Here are five things to know.
1. Dr. Tehrany founded Manhattan Orthopedic Care and specializes in knee and shoulder conditions. He performs minimally invasive surgery, also treating sports medicine conditions and muscle, bone, nerve and ligament issues.
2. He approached the NYPD about getting involved after he realized a connection between his job and theirs — taking care of people.
3. In his new role, Dr. Tehrany holds orthopedic consultations with city police officers and their families.
4. Dr. Tehrany completed an arthroscopic shoulder surgery fellowship at Houston, Texas-based Baylor College of Medicine.
5. To become a NYPD honorary police surgeon, physicians must receive a nomination by a NYPD service member. Surgeons then undergo a selection process akin to that of NYPD officers.