Louisville, Ky.-based Norton Leatherman Spine Center implemented Medtronic's Mazor X robotic system to assist with pediatric spine surgeries, according to WHAS-11 News.
Here are five things to know:
1. After seeing successful results from integrating the system into adult spine surgeries in 2017, the center began using Mazor X in pediatric surgeries in June 2018.
2. Designed to guide surgeons with screw insertion precision, the robotic arm helps to create smaller incisions and decrease operating times.
3. The system also eliminates the need for patient blood transfusions, which can support faster recovery times.
4. Thirteen-year-old Jeffery Butterworth, a recent patient at the center, underwent scoliosis surgery with Mazor X and was able to walk up a flight of stairs two days post procedure.
5. Medtronic recently began the process to acquire Mazor for $1.64 billion.