Four orthopedic surgeons from Hospital for Special Surgery — Alexander McLawhorn, MD; Geoffrey Westrich, MD; Amar Ranawat, MD; and Peter Sculco, MD — are ranked among the top 10 physicians for hip and knee replacement in New York, based on patient volume and experience, according to rankings authority Dexur.
New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery is the only hospital with multiple surgeons among the top 10 with the most experience in New York state.
Dexur's physician rankings are based on Medicare claims analysis of patient volumes. Physicians with fewer than 11 cases between Jan 2021 and Dec 2021 were not considered for the study.
Here are the top-ranked surgeons for hip and knee replacement in New York, according to Dexur:
1. Michael Ciminiello, MD. Peconic Bay Medical Center (Riverhead)
2. Alexander McLawhorn, MD. Hospital for Special Surgery (New York City)
3. Geoffrey Westrich, MD. Hospital for Special Surgery
4. Amar Ranawat, MD. Hospital for Special Surgery
4. James Nicholson, MD. Stony Brook Medicine
6. Scott Alpert, MD. Huntington Hospital
7. Peter Sculco, MD. Hospital for Special Surgery
8. Jeffrey Geller, MD. Columbia Orthopedic Surgery (New York City)
9. Andrew Wickline, MD. Genesee Orthopedics (New Hartford)
10. Steven Zelicof, MD, PhD. Montefiore New Rochelle Hospital