From practice CEOs to hospital department chairs, here are more than 30 orthopedic leadership moves so far in 2021.
1. Indianapolis-based OrthoIndy appointed John Ryan as its new CEO, the company said Oct. 7. Mr. Ryan will take over Jan. 1.
2. Kim Mikes, BSN, RN, has been appointed CEO of Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, Calif., according to an Oct. 4 news release.
3. Allison Farmer was named Durham, N.C.-based EmergeOrtho's new CEO, according to a Sept. 9 announcement.
4. Michael Boblitz, former CEO of Lawrenceville, Ga.-based Reagan Medical Center, took over as CEO of Tallahassee (Fla.) Orthopedic Clinic Sept. 1.
5. In July, Mark Vorherr became CEO of Cincinnati-based Mayfield Brain & Spine, a 19-surgeon practice.
6. Robert Kay, MD, has taken on two leadership positions at Children's Hospital of Los Angeles: division chief of orthopedic surgery and service line medical director of the Children’s Orthopaedic Center.
7. Orlando, Fla.-based AdventHealth has appointed Stephen Knych, MD, CMO of its operations in Volusia, Flagler and Lake counties in Florida and of AdventHealth Fish Memorial in Orange City, Fla.
8. Orthopedic surgeon Frances Farley, MD, was recently named Shriners Hospitals for Children's new chief medical officer.
9. April Armstrong, MD, was named chair of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.
10. Thomas Graham, MD, a hand surgeon and former chief innovation officer at Cleveland Clinic, has joined the leadership team at Kettering (Ohio) Health as chief innovation and transformation officer.
11. Jeremy Smith, MD, was named Irvine, Calif.-based Hoag Orthopedic Institute's division chief of surgical spine.
12. Rachel Thompson, MD, has been appointed the William and Patricia Oppenheim Presidential Chair in Pediatric Orthopaedics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles.
13. Little Rock-based University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Medicine appointed four vice chairs in the department of orthopedic surgery.
14. Susan Bukata, MD, has been named chair of the department of orthopedic surgery at University of California San Diego School of Medicine and UC San Diego Health.
15. Nader Nassif, MD, was elected division chief of joint replacement at Hoag Orthopedic Institute, according to a May 4 news release.
16. Ann Arbor-based Michigan Medicine has appointed Michelle Caird, MD, chair of its orthopedic surgery department, effective May 1.
17. Cincinnati-based UC Health named Michael Archdeacon, MD, the next CEO of its physician group. Dr. Archdeacon is also the chair of the department of orthopedic surgery at the University of Cincinnati School of Medicine and is retaining the position.
18. Asheville, N.C.-based EmergeOrtho: Blue Ridge Division named Tommy Middleton as CEO in April.
19. Orthopedic surgeon and orthopedic oncologist Rajiv Rajani, MD, has been appointed chair of orthopedics at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso.
20. Christopher Olivia, MD, was named CEO of Philadelphia-based Rothman Orthopaedic Institute in April, replacing Michael West, who held the role since 1999.
21. Steven Barnett, MD, was named the new chief medical officer at Hoag Orthopedic Institute.
22. Jay Patel, MD, has been appointed chief strategy officer of Hoag Orthopedic Institute.
23. Christopher Dewing, MD, became medical director of Post Falls, Idaho-based Northwest Specialty Hospital's sports medicine line.
24. Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis named Ryan Calfee, MD, as director of hand and microsurgery.
25. OrthoBethesda, a 14-surgeon group in Maryland, named Emil Engels, MD, CEO in January.
26. Osmel Delgado, who previously served as COO of Cleveland Clinic Florida, will take on the same role at Phoenix-based Healthcare Outcomes Performance Co.
27. In January, Joe DiPaolo was named CEO of The Orthopedic Institute of New Jersey.
28. Martin Roche, MD, a total joint specialist who performed the first sensor- and robotic-assisted knee surgery, was appointed director of hip and knee arthroplasty at Hospital for Special Surgery Florida in West Palm Beach.
29. Columbus, Ohio-based OrthoNeuro promoted Brian Hart to chief operating officer and Jacqueline Petty to chief administrative officer.
30. Morristown, N.J.-based Altair Health, a physician-managed health system focused on spine care, appointed Mark Farrington CEO in January.