Irving, Texas-based healthcare company Legent Health submitted plans to build an orthopedic and spine surgical hospital near Delray Beach, Fla., in partnership with local surgeons, according to The Palm Beach Post.
1. The proposed South Florida Spine & Orthopedic Institute would be a 24-bed surgical hospital. Legent is partnering with Physicians Surgical Network Associates on the facility, which would be co-owned by 25 local orthopedic surgeons.
2. The 11.3-acre site has been vacant since 1997. Legent proposed building two two-story buildings at 60,000 square feet each.
3. The surgical hospital would include small and large outpatient treatment areas and approximately 10 physician offices.
4. The Alliance of Delray Residential Association objected to the plans, saying two other nearby hospitals serve the community's needs. However, the state does not require a certificate of need.
5. The owners aim to begin building later this year and open the facility in early 2023.