In 2018, accreditation company DNV GL Healthcare began offering its Orthopaedic Center of Excellence designation for hospitals certified in three of its four orthopedic service line programs — spine surgery, hip and knee replacement, shoulder surgery, and foot and ankle surgery.
The orthopedic certifications run for three years, supplemented by annual one-day surveys, and highlight excellence in the provision of diagnostic services, surgical services and therapies related to orthopedic care.
Most hospitals choose accreditation so they can be certified by CMS to receive federal funds and reimbursements from Medicare and Medicaid programs, according to DNV GL Healthcare, which certifies more than 500 hospitals in 49 states.
The conditions of participation requirements outlined by the accreditation body are based on the guidelines, recommendations and practices recognized by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the North American Spine Society.
Here are the seven hospitals that have received DNV GL's Orthopedic Center of Excellence so far:
1. Houston Methodist The Woodlands (The Woodlands)
2. Park Place Medical Center (Lafayette, La.)
3. Houston Physicians Hospital (Webster, Texas)
4. Methodist Hospital for Surgery (Addison, Texas)
5. Optim Medical Center (Reidsville, Ga.)
6. Midland (Texas) Memorial Hospital
7. River's Edge Medical Center (Saint Peter, Minn.)