As Cortez, Colo.-based Southwest Memorial Hospital goes through an "ongoing financial recovery process," according to The Journal, the hospital has laid-off one orthopedic surgeon and reported a second will exit later this year.
Here are five things to know:
1. Southwest Memorial, which contracted Community Hospital Corp. to conduct a financial audit, found that overstaffing was an issue. The hospital laid off 40 staff members in August.
2. The hospital laid-off Doug Baage, MD, effective in December. According to the report, Dr. Baage was surprised his contract was terminated and would be open to renegotiation.
3. Dr. Baage has treated patients in Cortez for the past 23 years and aims to continue providing care there. He will maintain privileges at Southwest medical facilities as a private practice physician.
4. Another orthopedic surgeon plans to leave the hospital as well, but the report did not detail the terms of that surgeon's departure.
5. Although Southwest Memorial laid-off Dr. Baage, CEO Tony Sudduth told The Journal the hospital will actively recruit physicians to continue providing orthopedic services at the hospital.