The American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society recognized Ruth Thomas, MD, with its inaugural Women's Leadership Award.
Here are five things to know:
1. Dr. Thomas is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle surgery at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock.
2. She previously served as director of foot and ankle surgery in the UAMS College of Medicine.
3. Dr. Thomas is the director of the Perry Initiative's programs for high school and medical students in Arkansas. The Perry Initiative performs outreach to young women to encourage them to pursue careers in orthopedics and engineering.
4. Since 2008, she has led Hearts2Soles, a program providing free medical foot care, shoes and socks to the homeless, working poor and disabled in central Arkansas.
5. Dr. Thomas received her medical degree from UAMS College of Medicine. She underwent foot and ankle surgery fellowship training at Campbell Clinic Orthopaedics in Memphis, Tenn.