The Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation tapped Michael Parks, MD, to serve as president, effective March 5.
Here are five notes.
1. Dr. Parks is vice chair for quality and clinical director of orthopedic surgery at New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery. He has been an OREF member since 2013 and a donor since 1998.
2. Previously, Dr. Parks served as co-chair of the OREF James R. Urbaniak, MD Mentor Campaign, which raised money for regenerative medicine and cellular therapies research.
3. Recently, Dr. Parks led a clinical trial testing the use of a shared decision-making tool and its impact on how minority patients decide on knee pain treatment.
4. Dr. Parks is a former president of the New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He served of the board of directors of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery and American Association of Hip and knee Surgeons.
5. He will serve as OREF's president for two years. To date, OREF has awarded more than 4,700 grants, providing more than $146 million in support of orthopedic research.