Amedica Corporation received a U.S. patent for its silicon nitride technology.
Here are five things to know:
1. The company's researchers developed micrometric silicon nitride powders as well as bulk surfaces that are effective against various strains of commonly prevalent viruses, including Influenza A virus (H1N1).
2. Additionally, the research showed silicon nitride's surface chemical properties that contribute to viricidal effect.
3. To test the effectiveness of the silicon nitride technology, researchers measured mammalian cell viability in high concentrations of virus particles.
4. For Influenza A virus, a five-minute exposure to the silicon nitride at four degrees Celsius resulted in complete virus lysis and 100 percent of the exposed cells survived.
5. In an identical parallel test without the silicon nitride technology, the virus remained intact and was able to infect and destroy the exposed cells.