From physicians retiring from pro football teams, to new medical partnerships in basketball, six important sports medicine developments occurred in July.
Six sports medicine updates:
1. Peter Mais, MD, was named head physician for the Indianapolis Colts, focusing on sports medicine and medical specialities.
2. Thomas Klootwyk, MD, stepped down as the Indianapolis Colts head physician, a role he held since 2017.
3. Ed McDevitt, MD, a former team physician at the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md., was inducted into the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine's hall of fame.
4. Chicago's WNBA team, the Chicago Sky, has renewed its partnership with the University of Chicago Medicine for two more years.
5. James Bradley, MD, head orthopedic surgeon for the Pittsburgh Steelers, was inducted into the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine's hall of fame.
6. Mark Miller, MD, was named the new president of the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine for 2022 and 2023.