New York City-based Hospital for Special Surgery named Andrew Pearle, MD, chief of the HSS Sports Medicine Institute, effective July 1.
1. Dr. Pearle will succeed Bryan Kelly, MD. Dr. Kelly was appointed to serve s HSS' surgeon-in-chief and medical director, effective July 1.
2. Dr. Pearle started at HSS as a surgical intern in 1998. He began practicing there in 2005.
3. He currently sees patients at HSS' main campus in New York City and at HSS Westchester in White Plains, N.Y., where he holds the medical director position.
4. Dr. Pearle is the head team orthopedic surgeon for Rugby United New York and an associate team physician for the New York Mets.
5. He developed one of the first computer-assisted surgery programs in the U.S. and performed the first robotic partial knee replacement in New York in 2007.