Riley J. Williams III, MD, performed an arthroscopy and debridement on Boston Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright's left knee, the team announced in a tweet.
Here's what you should know:
1. Dr. Williams operated on Mr. Wright Nov. 12 at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.
2. The Red Sox said Mr. Wright will continue rehabilitation and be prepared to pitch in the 2019 season.
3. On Oct. 6, the team removed Mr. Wright from the American League Division Series roster due to inflammation in his left knee, according to Sports Illustrated.
4. With expertise in knee, shoulder and elbow surgery, Dr. Williams serves as the knee group leader of sports medicine and shoulder service at Hospital for Special Surgery.
5. Dr. Williams is the medical director and head team orthopedic surgeon for the Brooklyn Nets, New York Red Bulls and New Rochelle, N.Y.-based Iona College athletics department. He is also a team physician for USA Basketball.