Steven Shin, MD, will operate on the left thumb of Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Here's what you should know.
1. Mr. Trout injured his thumb sliding into second base during a May 28 game against the Miami Marlins.
2. An MRI on Monday confirmed that Mr. Trout tore his ulnar collateral ligament.
3. Mr. Trout opted to have his finger surgically prepared by Dr. Shin on May 29.
4. It's believed Mr. Trout will need between six to eight weeks to recover.
5. Dr. Shin is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in hand and wrist surgery at the Los Angeles-based Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic. Dr. Shin is the clinic's director of hand surgery.
6. Dr. Shin is a consultant to several Los Angeles-based teams including the Angels, Lakers and Dodgers.
7. Dr. Shin is an associate editor of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.