From robotic surgeries to disc replacements, Becker's reported on six milestones in spine surgery since March 1.
1. Richard Wohns, MD, founder and medical director of Puyallup, Wash.-based NeoSpine, has performed 100 pedicle screw procedures with the Globus ExcelsiusGPS robot.
2. Mitchell Garden, MD, of Torrington, Conn.-based Charlotte Hungerford Hospital, marked 100 spine surgeries with the ExcelsiusGPS robot.
3. Kee Kim, MD, a California surgeon, recently completed his 100th spine procedure using the ExcelsiusGPS robot.
4. Craig Humphreys, MD, an Alaskan spine surgeon, has performed more than 100 surgeries for children in Kenya and has plans to establish a training center in the country.
5. Newport Beach, Calif.-based DISC Surgery Center has performed its 1,000th artificial disc replacement.
6. Michael Gallizzi, MD, a spine surgeon who joined Vail, Colo.-based The Steadman Clinic in March, completed his 100th robotic surgery April 19.