From awake surgery to new implants, here are six spine and orthopedic surgery debuts in February:
1. Sean McMillan, DO, became the first surgeon to use the Bear anterior cruciate ligament implant in New Jersey.
2. The first cases with Implanet's Jazz posterior fixation system were completed, the devicemaker said Feb. 9.
3. Ran Schwarzkopf, MD, of New York City-based NYU Langone Health, completed the first case with Smith+Nephew's Journey II medial dished knee replacement system.
4. Medical device company Implanet said its Origin cervical plate was debuted in the U.S.
5. Ernest Braxton, MD, performed the first awake robot-assisted transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion in Colorado.
6. Brad Prybis, MD, a surgeon at Carrollton, Ga.-based Tanner Medical Center, performed the first case with 4Web Medical's hyperlordotic lateral implant with Truss technology.