Here are six spine and orthopedic surgeons who received honors and recognition in the fourth quarter of 2021:
1. Joseph Buckwalter IV, MD, received the 2021 Distinguished Contributions to Orthopaedics award from the American Orthopaedic Association.
2. The North American Spine Society awarded Frank Phillips, MD, with the 2021 Leon Wiltse Award.
3. Brian Gantwerker, MD, received the North American Spine Society's Spine Advocacy Award.
4. Gregory Przybylski, MD, received the Past President Award from the North American Spine Society.
5. Matthew Smuck, MD, won the Henry Farfan Award from the North American Spine Society.
6. Alex Vaccaro, MD, PhD, president of Philadelphia-based Rothman Orthopaedic Institute, was recognized as the top-rated expert in spine care from 2011-21 by Expertscape, an online platform that ranks people and institutions according to their expertise in diseases, medical conditions and treatments.