Eight spine surgeons were honored in the past few months for achievements ranging from patient care to addressing legislative hurdles for the spine industry.
Here are eight spine and orthopedic surgeons honored in the first quarter of 2021:
1. Spine surgeon Brian Gantwerker, MD, was highlighted by the National Association of Spine Specialists for his work elevating the voices of spine providers and challenging legislative hurdles. Dr. Gantwerker established his practice, the Craniospinal Center of Los Angeles, 10 years ago and is a board member of NASS' political engagement committee.
2. Total joint specialist Mark Hanna, MD, was awarded Atlanta-based Resurgens Orthopaedics' 12th annual Garrett Award which recognizes physicians who demonstrate excellence in patient care, building relationships and compromise, according to a Feb. 4 release. Dr. Hanna practices at Resurgens Sandy Springs, Ga.-based Orthopaedics' Emory St. Joseph's Hospital location.
3. Neurologic spine surgeon Robert Bray Jr., MD, was named to the Super Doctors Hall of Fame after 10 consecutive years of being honored among Southern California's top physicians, according to a Feb. 10 release. Dr. Bray opened DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, Calif., in 2006 and has performed around 14,500 spine surgeries.
4. Orthopedic surgeon Leesa Galatz, MD, was awarded the 2021 Women's Leadership Forum Award, which honors women who have made significant contributions to the understanding of the musculoskeletal system. Dr. Galatz is the professor and chair of the Leni and Peter W. May Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City.
5. Spinal surgeon Todd Lanman, MD, was named one of Los Angeles Magazine's top doctors for 2021, according to a Feb. 22 release. Dr. Lanman founded Lanman Spinal Neurosurgery in Beverly Hills, Calif., and has practiced spine surgery for more than 30 years.
6. Complex knee and sports medicine surgeon Robert LaPrade, MD, PhD, was awarded the American Academy of Sports Physical Therapy's 2021 Jack C. Hughston Sports Physician Award, the organization's highest individual honor. Dr. LaPrade works for Twin Cities Orthopedics in Golden Valley, Minn.
7. Orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine specialist Arthur Valadie, MD, received a plaque from the Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers Society recognizing his 20 years of service, according to a March 3 release. Dr. Valadie is the physician president for Coastal Orthopedics, a sports medicine physician for the U.S. Soccer Team and team doctor for the Gulf Coast League Pirates.
8. Orthopedic surgeon Kristy Weber, MD, was honored by the Academic Orthopaedic Consortium, according to a March 23 release. Dr. Weber became the first female president of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons in 2019 and serves as the chief of orthopedic oncology at Philadelphia-based University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine.