Winter Park-based Florida Spine & Orthopedics is suing a patient who allegedly owes the practice over $49,000 for spine surgery he underwent in 2018, according to a lawsuit filed in the 9th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida.
1. Defendant Todd M. Bentle allegedly breached the terms and conditions of a financial agreement he signed in July 2017, which stated he accepted financial responsibility for treatment at Florida Spine. He underwent a successful spine surgery there on April 26, 2018.
2. Florida Spine has made numerous unsuccessful attempts to collect the $49,302.28 Mr. Bentle owes for his procedure, according to court documents.
3. Court documents also list Florida Injury Law Firm, which represented Mr. Bentle in a personal injury lawsuit, as a defendant. The firm is allegedly holding proceeds from Mr. Bentle's personal injury settlement and has refused to give Florida Spine payment for Mr. Bentle's medical bills.
4. Florida Spine claims it is entitled to receive a payout from the settlement and that it will "suffer irreparable harm" if the settlement proceeds are given to Mr. Bentle.
5. The practice is seeking the amount Mr. Bentle owes for his procedure — including interest — as well as compensation for legal expenses. The patient's balance is subject to an additional 1.5 percent charge each month it goes unpaid.