Former OtisMed CEO Charli Chi will go to prison for his roll in marketing and distributing knee replacement tools that weren't cleared by the FDA, according to News Works.
Here are five things to know:
1. Mr. Chi pled guilty to distributing surgical tools for knee replacements using an FDA-rejected marking plan.
2. OtisMed has since been purchased by Stryker. The company was fined more than $80 million for criminal and civil charges.
3. Mr. Chi was sentenced to 24 months in prison.
4. Stryker wasn't aware of OtisMed's illegal actions when purchasing the company, but they did cooperate with the FDA investigation.
5. OtisMed sold cutting guides before clearing claims about the device, and the FDA later rejected those claims.